The Prince George Public Library is looking for a dynamic, innovative, and inspiring Interim Children’s Librarian with a passion for developing and delivering exceptional children’s services. At the Prince George Public Library, we are proud of our record of innovation, leadership, and provision of popular children’s programs. Our work environment is fun, challenging, and rewarding in that we interact as a team while respecting each other’s skills, enthusiasm, and ingenuity.
We are looking for candidates that have:
• A Masters degree from an ALA accredited program OR that expect to have such a degree within twelve (12) months of the start of the contract; and
• Two years pertinent library experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training sufficient to indicate ability to deliver library services and programs to children, youth, and caregivers; and
• Demonstrated knowledge of children’s literature and early childhood development; and
• The Ability to be flexible, multitask, and meet deadlines; and
• A high level of self-motivation and resourcefulness; and
• Excellent people skills and superior communication skills, both written and oral; and
• Proven supervisory skills; and
• Proven community involvement; and
• Shown initiative to find resources to support programming and experience in grant and proposal writing, and
• Knowledge of computer software and hardware.
The Interim Children’s Librarian has an important role within the Public Service Department. Responsibilities will include providing information services at the Youth Information Desk, ordering for designated areas in the collection, and various committee involvements. In collaboration with other Public Service staff, the Interim Children’s Librarian creates, plans, promotes, and delivers patron-centred, literacy enhancing programs for families with children 0-9 years of age. Such programs are delivered at both library branches as well as community centres, preschools, and schools throughout Prince George and the Regional District. The Interim Children’s Librarian plays a key role in promoting family literacy and the library in the community. This is a temporary assignment with a contract period of at least eighteen (18) months that is expected to end no later than November 2020.
The Prince George Public Library:
• Has two branches
• Employs a dedicated staff of over 60 people
• Has an annual budget of $4 million
• Serves approximately 1,l300 patrons a day
The service area of the Prince George Public Library is a dynamic community of over 80,000 and is centered in the city of Prince George, which is less than an hour by air north of Vancouver. Though originally a resource community, Prince George has expanded to become a base for retail, government, and education. As befits “B.C.’s Northern Capital”, Prince George sits at the hub of a network of highways, railways, and air routes that make it an important regional centre. Historically, the city has depended on the forest industry, but now boasts a diverse economy, including many high technology firms.
As for lifestyle, Prince George offers unmatched outdoor opportunities and excellent indoor programs and facilities. Prince George is also proud of its cultural services, including the art gallery, observatory, The Exploration Place, museums, and a host of other institutions. In education, the University of Northern British Columbia and the College of New Caledonia are known for the high quality of their programs.
Are you the new Interim Children’s Librarian we are looking for? This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send your detailed resume and cover letter in confidence by midnight on Sunday, March 31, 2019 to:
Prince George Public Library
888 Canada Games Way
Prince George BC, V2L 5T6
Applications are to be marked “Private and Confidential”. The Public Service Manager thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.