The Prince George Public Library is looking for a dynamic people-person to work part-time as an Interim Library Assistant for Collections. This position is part of a collaborative team that supports efforts to develop and maintain the library’s physical and digital collections using a limited budget. This individual participates in the selection, weeding, evaluation, and promotion of library materials in accordance with the strategic priorities of the organization and in alignment with established spending plans. In addition, the individual routinely works at service delivery points to provide reference, readers’ advisory, referral, and basic account services to patrons in-person, over the phone, or virtually. The position also plays an important role in facilitating public access to materials from other library systems through the daily handling of assigned interlibrary loan service tasks.
This individual helps to expand the library’s reach and maximize the library’s ability to understand and respond to the distinct needs and interests of adults and seniors, and particularly those from historically marginalized populations including Black, Indigenous and people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+, immigrants, and those facing accessibility barriers.
The library is a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. This role includes both evening and weekend shifts.
The incumbent contributes to the maintenance of a respectful and inclusionary workplace, meeting expectations that adhere to the B.C. Privacy Guidelines, and the library’s quality standards, policies, and procedures.
We are looking for:
- Minimum of two years post-secondary education.
- Minimum of two years relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate an interest or familiarity with library collections.
- Demonstrated interest in serving BIPOC, immigrants, seniors, people facing accessibility barriers, and/or any historically marginalized population.
- Relevant experience with managing budgets.
- Comfortable working with and navigating library-specific software, and proven online research and digital literacy skills.
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s License and willingness to drive to all library branches. A library vehicle is available for use.
At the Prince George Public Library, we are proud of our record of innovation, leadership, and service within our community and among libraries in British Columbia, and embrace our mission to “connect people and ideas, inspiring the community to Read, Learn and Discover.”
This position works approximately 35 hours per week and offers a competitive wage ($25.53/hr.).
Please send your detailed résumé in confidence by Friday, November 12, 2021 @ 5:00 pm to:
Prince George Public Library
888 Canada Games Way
Prince George BC, V2L 5T6
Applications are to be marked “Private and Confidential.” The Management Team thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Your application must be true and correct. Disqualification or termination of employment will result if there are any misstatements or omissions of material facts in the application or hiring process.