The Prince George Public Library is looking for a dynamic people-person to work part-time as a Library Assistant – Youth Engagement. This position is part of a collaborative team that supports efforts to seek, create, and develop opportunities for engaging youth from birth – 18 yrs. Helps to expand the Library’s reach and maximize the Library’s ability to understand and respond to the distinct needs and interests of youth and families, particularly those from historically marginalized populations like BIPOC, 2SLGBTQ+, immigrants and those facing accessibility barriers. The Library Assistant – Youth Engagement may participate in the training of staff whose primary tasks include assisting with the activities described above.
This position plays an important role in the provision of literacy enhancing library services by delivering high quality reference and support to library patrons. This individual will regularly provide readers’ advisory, referral, and basic customer account services to patrons, in person at service points and by telephone or virtually; and adhere to established quality standards. The Library is a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. This position includes both evening and weekend shifts.
The incumbent contributes to the maintenance of a respectful and inclusionary workplace, meeting expectations that adhere to BC Privacy Guidelines, and the Library’s quality standards, policies and procedures.
We are looking for:
- Minimum of two years post-secondary education
- 1-3 years relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate an interest or familiarity with community involvement (particularly with BIPOC, immigrant audiences, and people facing accessibility barriers), experience organization events, and any sort of public programming.
- Experience delivering programs or services to children and families.
- Comfortable working with and navigating library-specific software and proven online research and digital literacy skills.
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s License (minimum Class 7) and willingness to drive company vehicle.
At the Prince George Public Library, we are proud of our record of innovation, leadership, and service within our community and among libraries in British Columbia, and embrace our mission to “connect people and ideas, inspiring the community to Read, Learn and Discover.”
This position works approximately 35 hours per week and offers a competitive wage ($25.53/hr.).
Please send your detailed résumé in confidence by Monday, March 1st @ 5:00 pm to:
Prince George Public Library
888 Canada Games Way
Prince George BC, V2L 5T6
Applications are to be marked “Private and Confidential.” The Management Team thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Your application must be true and correct. Disqualification or termination of employment will result if there are any misstatements or omissions of material facts in the application or hiring process.