The Prince George Public Library is looking for a dynamic people-person to work part-time as a Library Assistant – Home Service. This position is part of a collaborative team that supports efforts to seek, create, and develop opportunities for engaging with adult patrons. This individual helps to expand the Library’s reach and maximize the Library’s ability to understand and respond to the distinct needs and interests of adults and seniors, and particularly those from historically marginalized populations including Black, Indigenous and people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+, immigrants and those facing accessibility barriers.
This position plays an important role in the provision of literacy enhancing library services by delivering high quality reference and support to library patrons. This individual will regularly provide reference, readers’ advisory, referral, and basic customer account services to patrons in person at service points and by telephone or virtually; and adhere to established quality standards. The library is a fast-paced, high pressure environment. This role includes both evening and weekend shifts.
This individual will participate in the day-to-day operations of Home Service. This involves the registration of new members; the recruitment, training, and handling of volunteers; any collaboration and coordination with community partners; the circulation of library materials; and the delivery of information and reference service to patrons using this service. The Library Assistant – Home Service may participate in the training of staff who assist with Home Service operations.
The incumbent contributes to the maintenance of a respectful and inclusionary workplace, meeting expectations that adhere to the B.C. Privacy Guidelines, and the Library’s quality standards, policies and procedures.
We are looking for:
- Minimum of two years post-secondary education.
- 1-3 years relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate an interest or familiarity with community involvement (particularly with BIPOC, immigrant audiences, seniors, and people facing accessibility barriers), experience organizing events, and any sort of public programming.
- Experience working with seniors is considered an asset.
- Comfortable working with and navigating library-specific software, and proven online research and digital literacy skills.
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s License and willingness to drive to community events. A library vehicle is available for use.
At the Prince George Public Library, we are proud of our record of innovation, leadership, and service within our community and among libraries in British Columbia, and embrace our mission to “connect people and ideas, inspiring the community to Read, Learn and Discover.”
This position works approximately 35 hours per week and offers a competitive starting wage ($25.53/hr.) and benefits package.
Please send your detailed résumé in confidence by Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 @ 5:00 pm to:
Prince George Public Library
888 Canada Games Way
Prince George BC, V2L 5T6
Applications are to be marked “Private and Confidential.” The Management Team thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Your application must be true and correct. Disqualification or termination of employment will result if there are any misstatements or omissions of material facts in the application or hiring process.