Help / FAQs
How do I Get My PIN?
- Try entering the last four digits of your phone number, which patrons often select for their PIN.
- If that does not work, please call the library Circulation counter at 250-563-9251 and ask a staff member to retrieve your PIN.
- If you are visiting the library, simply ask a staff member at the checkout counter to retrieve your PIN.
If you would like to update/change your PIN, you can do so by logging into your My Account area of the library website. Select the Personal Information tab at the top of the page, and then click on Change PIN.
How do I Renew Items?
- The maximum number of renewals has been reached.
- Someone else has requested that item.
- There is an outstanding balance of $15.00 or more on your account.
- Your library card has expired.
How to Renew Materials Through Our Website
Log in to your library account by clicking the My Account button on the top left of the library website. Enter your library card number and PIN. Once you're logged in, select the Checkouts tab at the top of the page to view a list of your borrowed items. Select the boxes of the titles you want to renew, then click the Renew button. You're done!
How to Renew Materials Over the Phone
Call the library at 250-563-9251 and select the option that directs you to the Circulation Counter. You may call to renew your items during the library's open hours. Make sure you have your library card number available when you call.
How to Renew Materials at the Library
Bring your library card and the items you want to renew to the checkout counter at either branch of the library and a staff member will renew them for you.
How do I Place Items on Hold?
- Visit the library catalogue and search for the item that you'd like to put on hold. Remember that you can request both items already out on loan and also items that are available on our shelves.
- When you find the record for the item you would like to request, click on the Place Hold button on the right side of the screen
- You'll be directed to enter your library card number, PIN, and to select the branch where you would like to pick up the item. Once you've filled out that information, click the Place Hold button
- You will be notified when your hold is ready to be picked up at the checkout counter of your pickup library branch.
There is a $2.00 charge for any holds that you do not pick up within 7 days of being notified. If you no longer want your hold or can't get to the library to pick it up, you can cancel the hold via the website or by calling the library at 250-563-9251.
How to Cancel a Hold On the Website
- Log in to your library account by clicking the My Account link located in the menu on the top left of the website. Enter your library card number and PIN to log in.
- Select the Holds tab near the top of the My Account page to see a list of your hold requests.
- Select the check boxes of the items you no longer want to request, and then click Cancel Hold(s). We will return those items to the shelf so others can borrow them.
How to Cancel a Hold By Phone
Call the library Circulation counter at 250-563-9251. Please have your library card ready as we will need you to provide the barcode number on the back of the card. Tell us the names of any requested items that you would no longer like on hold and we will cancel the holds for you.
How to Suspend a Hold
If you've been waiting for a book that's on hold, you don't want to miss it if it becomes available for you while you're out of town or on vacation. Follow these simple steps to temporarily suspend your hold while you're out of town:
- Log in to your account by clicking the My Account link located on the top left of the website. Enter your library card number and PIN to log in.
- Select the Holds tab near the top of the My Account page to see a list of your hold requests. Select the check boxes beside any requested items you would like to suspend, then click the Suspend Hold(s) button.
- Use the calendar tool to select the first day of your holiday as your suspension Start Date. Click in the End Date box and use the calendar tool to select the date you will be home again. Click the Suspend button.
Your holds will now become available only after you get back in town! Please note that suspending your hold does not mean the item will be automatically available when you return from holidays. If there were other library users waiting for the item before you left, there may still be some people ahead of you when you return. Suspending your hold simply prevents you from losing your place in the line.
How Long Can I Borrow Items For?
|Item Type||Loan Period||Item Limit||Renewal Limit||Daily Overdue Rate||Overdue Maximum|
|Books, Graphic Novels, Magazines, Books on CD, Music CDs, Video Games||21 days||unlimited||2||$0.20||$5.00|
|Book Express Titles||7 days||unlimited||no renewals||$1.00||$10.00|
|DVD QuickFlicks||3 days||3||no renewals||$1.00||$10.00|
|Book Club Sets||6 weeks||2 sets||no renewals||$0.00||$0.00|
|Story Kits, KEVA Kits, Tech Kits||21 days||3||1||$0.20||$5.00|
|Interlibrary Loan Titles||14 days||5||varies||$0.20||$5.00|
If items are more than 28 days overdue, or if unpaid fees exceed $15.00 on a library account, library privileges are temporarily suspended. Patrons must pay outstanding fees before their library privileges can be reinstated. If you forget to return an item before its due date, you will be notified by email, phone or mail when the item is 7 days overdue. An invoice for the replacement cost of the item will be sent when the item is 28 days overdue. The library may use a collection agency when our efforts have failed to encourage the return of borrowed items and the payment of outstanding fees.